Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Great Outdoors

Last Friday I spent my entire morning discussing the results of the election and what implications they could have for our environment. Politics at 9 am are seldom a  good idea- especially on a Friday! At 1:30 I left my second class and went to work at the Office of Sustainability. It was a beautiful Friday afternoon, but I just didn't take the time to notice for myself. The director arrived and it was decided that I needed to take mandatory outside time. "It's far too nice outside, Markie! You need to leave this office and enjoy this gorgeous weather while you can!"

Wait...what?


I have never had my boss tell me to leave the office and go outside! Although it was a bizarre concept at first, I very quickly warmed up to the idea. I am an Environmental Studies major, but that does not mean that I love spending my free time outside. In fact, my connection to nature is not as spiritual as that of my classmates. I understand the importance of the environment, biodiversity and sustainability. Through this understanding, I am able to have a profound respect for nature- as opposed to a deep spiritual relationship. That is something that may develop overtime- but it cannot be forced. That being said, it goes without saying that I do not spend much time outside. With a five classes and a part-time job who has time to be separated from their computer?! I'd like to meet this person and learn their secrets! 


I keep a blanket in my car- for just such an emergency! I returned home to pick up some books and drop off my absurdly heavy book bag. Returned to campus- blanket at the ready- and sat by the fountain in Emeriti Park. I later learned that this specific area was meant to be a place of remembrance, where students could reflect on the people that played a major role in their academic career (http://www.ohio.edu/athens/bldgs/emeritipk.html). 


My view from the blanket at Emeriti Park! What a gorgeous day!
Photo by: Markie Miller

I am somewhat disturbed at how strange it felt for me to work outside. Yes, I respect and understand nature, but maybe that isn't enough. I also observed that not many students were enjoying this day with me. It is very difficult to not be wrapped up in the strenuous university lifestyle. We become so goal oriented (finish the paper, read the book, pass the final, graduate!) that we forget to stop and be in the present

There is nothing wrong with keeping an eye on the future, but it is easy to get caught up in that momentum of upcoming deadlines- be careful or life will hit you fast! 


I urge my fellow Ohio University students to evaluate their own lives! Do you spend time outdoors? Doing what- smoking, reading, biking, just passing through to class (and no, driving with the windows down does not count!)? What is your understanding of ecosystems and natural processes? Do you need to be told to spend time outside?


And perhaps most importantly, do you have a sense of place at Ohio University? Sense of place creates a meaningful connection to your environment. It allows you to participate and contribute. Take pride and ownership in your campus: start a garden, pick up trash when you see it and love this environment! 


Now... go spend some time outside! 


The Ridges hiking trails

Download the map here
Ride your bike

No comments:

Post a Comment