Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Invasive Plants: A Response


I was recently asked to read an article about the so-called "benefits" of invasive plants in Canada. Although I was hesitant to read something that went against everything I stood for, I recognized that I was in graduate school to learn, open my mind and form my own opinion based on facts. I tried to justify the data provided, but I found it to be impossible.

My biggest problem was the language of the article: it used the term invasive to refer to exotic and native plants. When a plant was identified, it was merely labeled invasive- exotic or not. In my academic career I had been under the impression that all invasives are exotic, but not all exotics are invasive. Yes- native plants can become out of control and invade spaces, but these are typically labeled as aggressive plants. They still preform beneficial functions within their indigenous ecosystem. Without this distinction we run into the risk of scaring people away from natives that may be better suited for big open spaces and larger backyards.


Native plants already have a tough time feeling welcomed as they often have the word 'weed' in their common name: Butterfly Weed, Thimbleweed, Swamp Milkweed, Joe-Pye Weed,   and my personal favorite... Sneezeweed! Who- in our modern day society of manicured lawns- could love a plant called sneezeweed? If it isn't a weed it's something wild... Wild Ginger, Nodding Wild Onion, Wild Geranium and Wild Lupine! It is a miracle that Obedient Plant (a lovely fall native) was graced with such an appealing name!


I have been called a plant Nazi many times. I don't appreciate it's connection to massive genocide, but I can understand that people would view me in this light. The article I read for class compared my personal perspective on plants to one of xenophobia- this is not new to me. However, the authors went so far as to deem the removal of invasive and exotics as a type of 'ethnic cleansing'! I suppose it is irrelevant that the exotic/invasive plants are taking up the habitat for the native flora - which ensure the survival of native fauna- and change the landscape right down to the soil chemistry. I guess we will overlook this for now so as to not offend the poor and discriminated exotic plants. But in all honesty, can I really sit back and accept such a harsh, politically charged and offensive term like ethnic cleansing be attributed to myself? 


As one of my good friends and colleagues pointed out (after a much needed discussion on this subject) we are not the only country trying to rid our land of harsh invasive visitors. The American Black Cherry tree runs wild in Germany- and I have a feeling the German population would not appreciate the undertones of ethnic cleansing and the Nazi party in removing this invasive tree. 


Plant and landscape management has become very selfish. Hardy invasive plants may be ideal for highly used recreational areas, but our livelihood is not in immediate danger when a field of wildflowers becomes replaced with Phragmites, Privet Bush, Garlic Mustard, Multiflora Rose... I could go on all day! They may be very beautiful or add a splash a green in the colder winter months and bloom a bit earlier in the spring. However, we need to remember that the plants are for the bugs, the pollinators, the birds and small mammals- we need to get over protecting something simply because it is pretty or easier to manage. Green for the sake of green is no longer a viable option.  


I was asked the question: "what is a native, really?" A fair enough question for sure. It may not be black and white to everyone. There are regional variations of natives within the United States (what grows in Ohio is different from California or Florida). What we need to remember is that native insects and birds have coevolved over hundreds of years with the native plants and depend on them for food, shelter and migration patterns. Reducing native plant habitat severely hurts bird/insect populations and their quality of life. 


People, animals  wind and water all aid in the dispersal of seeds. Promoting invasive species in one area does not guarantee that they will remain in that area! A problem I saw with this article in particular was in one location it promoted a highly invasive plant from Eurasia because it simply did better (obviously- if it is invasive it will do well in a variety of conditions- out competing other organisms). In another location it stated that the area had self restored itself to a renowned bird sighting location! What it failed to mention was that all the plants they deemed invasive were also native. Supporting the point that the birds NEED (and are attracted to) the native flowers. Simply calling every aggressive plant invasive is confusing and wrong.


As my diatribe comes to end here I am left with some frustration, but also an overwhelming amount of encouragement to not give up and keep a firm stance on not only what I believe in, but what I know is fact. 


Neil Diboll, with Wild Ones, doesn't believe that we need to "embrace the changes" up ahead and succumb to exotics and invasives: "You will have to pry my cold, dead fingers off my chain saw before I will relent in my efforts to eliminate buckthorn [among other invasives] from my property and replace it with gorgeous native ecosystems that sing with life. Call me crazy, but I'll expend the energy required to create beauty and vibrancy on my property. I will not meekly accept the inevitability of despair and diminished expectations for my home and the creatures with whom I share it. Fight on!" 


His call for ecological citizenship is inspiring and his passion infectious! My hope is that I can pass on this responsibility, not as a burden or a chore, but rather as an act of stewardship and kindness towards the Earth. Now is the not the time to be selfish or careless. Plant flowers for the wildlife... plant flower for a sustainable future. Just please... plant responsibly! 








No comments:

Post a Comment